Wednesday 3 March 2010

the blind side

Yesterday, I managed to ingest 3 chocolate éclairs, 2 diary creams, 2 packets of Wotsits and 1 pack of McCoys. I felt bad, so I also bought a bowel of salad in an attempt to justify them. However, gluttony is gluttony. And delicious gluttony is still delicious regardless. (Sainsbury's are idiots. Packs of 2 éclairs were priced at £1.10, and the pack of 4, placed right next to them, were reduced to £1.00. The most FAIL pricing strategy I've ever seen.)

I also saw The Blind Side (keep thinking it as The Blind Spot) last night, Apple - replacing AA, which far more suits another friend - had free tickets, the clever gal. It was very good, I like feel-good films and it certainly lived up in that sense. However, the whole movie was definitely too 'Hollywood'. It was obvious that certain lines were intended purely for effect, and no one - not even real gangstas - would speak as stereotypically as they did. I swear, most mainstream, blockbuster films nowadays are way OTT with what they're trying to depict - Twilight is the ultimate example of a shit story blown up by killer one-liners that only naive (and stupid) teen girls would swoon over (sadly, I have too many such friends).

No, I'm not being harsh. Dramatising is all very good and well, after all it is acting, however don't film-makers understand that subtle hints and fleeting glances are far more powerful than blatant (and grossly drawn-out) tear-jerker scenes? This is why I so much prefer British films. We are grey and ugly and pompously adept at chewing on cardboard to spit out humour.

There was also a scene in The Blind Side when I did actually wish I was blind. Tim McGraw initiating sex with Sandra Bullock... seriously, no.